Situated right on the lakeside of Holme Pierrepont, the world reknowned rowing lake in Nottingham, Becket Rowing specialises in Junior age rowing.
Although the Becket name goes back decades and is well known in rowing, the current Becket Rowing Club was re-established in 2015 by a group of ex-rowers.
The club is now thriving again, with juniors and their parents both playing an active role in the club, with rowers competing at local and national events.
Joining Becket Rowing Club.
Rowing is a competitive sport and at Becket Rowing we encourage all members to train hard and race hard, whilst ensuring that fun is had by all. Junior rowers who want to race at regattas and heads with the racing squad are encouraged to commit to attending most of the club training sessions each week in order to be fit enough, and of a sufficient standard to be competitive.
So why row with Becket Rowing?
- Make Friends – row with old friends or just come along and make some new ones.
- Great Socials – Regattas and heads provide the perfect venue to spend time racing and having fun.
- Fun and Fitness – Our many training sessions will get you super-fit and toned.
- Personal Development – discover a new side to yourself as your rowing develops!
- The Ultimate Team Sport – we can’t think of a better way to learn the value of teamwork than being in one of our crew teams.
- Modern Equipment – At most clubs, the juniors get the older equipment. At Becket – we have a fleet of modern, well looked after boats, here the Juniors get to race the best boats.
Who can join Becket Rowing?
We accept both juniors who can currently row, either at an existing club, or maybe you’ve had a year out and wish to start out again. Or we also accept beginners via our learn to row courses, which are run at various times during the Spring and Summer holidays.
Whilst children between 11 and 18 can row as juniors, at Becket we do prefer to take on children from the age 12 / 13, as size, strength, and maturity are important in learning the skill of rowing, and ensuring the safety of all.
All junior training sessions are supervised by either qualified coaches or adult, experienced volunteers. Juniors are not permitted to row on the water without a coach being present.
All rowing boats and equipment, with the exception of clothing are provided. Weekly coaching and fitness sessions are included in the membership fee, with the exception of optional courses for which there may be a small additional charge.
There is a timetable for priority use for differing sections of the club which should be observed, due to the high demand for use of the equipment.
How does racing work?
Racing is categorised both by age, type of boat, and experience. You will race against other people that are in the same year at school.
Rowers are permitted to race up one year, against older children than you, but not compete against younger ones.
The following are the British Rowing Categories for junior rowing:
J12 – Year 7
J13 – Year 8
J14 – Year 9
J15 – Year 10
J16 – Year 11
J17 – Year 12
J18 – Year 13
For more information regarding rowing at Becket, or for any other information, then please get in touch via our ‘Contact Us’ page.